Thursday, October 9, 2008

Typewriter

This is my latest, completed just last night. It's the second in a three-part series on once ubiquitous but now obsolete objects. I saw this old manual typewriter in a shop window in the Village. My office still has an IBM Selectric tucked away, saved for filling out the occasional form. A few months ago my younger son was at the office and puzzled over the machine. So I had to give him a little history lesson about typewriters and how computers quickly replaced them in the 1980s. I remember learning to type on a similar IBM machine during my senior year in high school. Friends couldn't understand why I would take a typing class. But I knew the skill would come in handy in college and beyond. In retrospect, taking that class was one of the smartest school choices I ever made. During my freshman year at VMI, as my classmates and I encountered the first generation of IMB PC's, most of my peers were engaging in the one- and two-fingered "hunt and peck" style of typing as they tried to learn their way around the keyboard at the same time they were learning new software. At least I felt comfortable at the keyboard! (5" x 7", watercolor, pen and ink, on Fabriano paper)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

Wow, you're really good at these. I think you should do a coffee table book. (Not paint a book, but publish one. Coffee table books aren't obsolete yet are they?)

jennifer black said...

I'm in love with that. When are you going to start selling your watercolors?! Or prints?

I also think that one day we'll realize the cut in generations is who learned to type on a typewriter and who learned on a computer. I remember my first Selectric (I was in college). It was a dream. That rotating ball. Oh my god. No more stuck-together keys. Yes yes yes.

I currently own 3 vintage typewriters. I love them. But finding ribbons for them? Not so easy.

j

BooCat said...

This comment is all inclusive of everything starting at about September 5. Wow, how I have missed your blog. (Since it is my job to mobilize volunteers, I have been held prisoner at my Red Cross Chapter House since about August 25.) How you manage to be gainfully employed, manage family life, and find time for photography, fine art and then have the energy left to blog about it, is beyond my understanding. I am merely glad you do. Columbus Day is my first down time since Gustav hit and catching up with your wonderful work has been a fantastic oasis in my life. Your work always amazes and delights, BrianC.

One Wink at a Time said...

Just want to recognize Boocat for this wonderful thing she's doing.
What a great lady!

And I share her thoughts about you and your blog, B.