Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Miss Florence Diner

We spent the holiday weekend in the area around Northampton, Mass., attending the Massachusetts Sheep and Wool Festival (more on that later) and seeing some of the local attractions. When we travel we're always on the lookout for old diners. The Miss Florence Diner, in Florence, Mass. (on Rt. 9, just west of Northampton), has been in business since 1941 and was accorded landmark status in 1999 when it was added to the National Register. I had first been here in 1995 and was curious how the place had fared since. The Miss Florence didn't disappoint. With a typically voluminous diner menu, the food was tasty, plentiful, and quick. And as you can see from the pictures, the atmosphere was authentic diner, right down to the tableside jukeboxes (which worked). So many old diners have closed their doors, unable to keep pace with the national fastfood franchises. I just hope the Miss Florence can survive the current economic climate and keep its doors open.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

There is nothing quite so cool as an old diner.
I"LL COME BACK LATER< I WAS THINKING AND HELD A KEY DOWN TOO LONG AND TURNED ON FILTER KEYS>>> I DON"T KNOW HOW TO TURN THEM OFF>
YES MY FACE IS RED>

One Wink at a Time said...

I'm fine now...

I wanted to tell you about a diner about two hours from my house that was completely decorated with Rock and Roll Memorabilia. Each booth was dedicated to Elvis or Marilyn (yes, I wondered what she had to do with music...) etc. You could order malts, burgers, fries and the jukebox was great. It was called "Dream Spinners" and they closed a few years ago and not only do I miss it, I regret never having taken pictures of the place.