Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Carnival Colors

On Saturday we drove out to Connecticut to take care of some business at Grandma's house. As a "thank you" to neighbors who have done so much for my wife in recent weeks, we went to their annual church carnival. We bought raffle tickets and the kids played games and rode the usual carnival rides. Probably the most striking feature of the carnival was the hyper-brightness of the colors. No doubt after dark these would have been even more vivid under the bright, racing lights that adorned all of the amusements.

I've never been a big fan of these little carnivals, probably because of the reputation of "carnie" games, and these fit most of the stereotypes. Still, it was an enjoyable afternoon for the kids and my wife and I got our funnel cake fix. When I was a kid our family rarely went to carnivals . . . which isn't to say we didn't enjoy amusement parks. We made the obligatory trips to Disneyland and Disney World, Six Flags, Busch Gardens, and Hershey Park. Yet the only small-scale carnival I can remember visiting was the Firemen's Carnival in the Eastern Shore town where my father grew up.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

Dude! How can you not love carnivals? The smells and the sights and the utter sleazy carniness? I have been a carnival addict since I was little wee. As a matter of fact, there is one in our town this week and I'm going for the cotton candy, sno-cones and funnel cakes. Maybe throw away a small wad of cash on the ring-toss or baloon darts or some other rigged, waste-of-money crap, just for the thrill of it.
Love your pictures, they just put me in the mood ;-) I especially love carnivals at night. The music and lights make me giddy.
I'm weird, huh? No need to answer that... ;-Þ
Although... when I was little, the sideshows creeped me out. Those seem to have fallen victim to a society with more civilized attitudes toward the less normal. That is likely a good thing. I also remember trying to peek behind the canvas walls hiding the hootchie cootchie girls from innocent eyes.
The more I think about it, the whole "carnival" thing says a lot about us... And I see which of us has more class ;-)

Anonymous said...

wow. You have all the fun up there! I wanna funnel cake!

hehe.