Friday, April 25, 2008

DMV

Yesterday I took a day off to renew my driver's license at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). And, since our cars are registered and garaged in Connecticut, we decided to drive out to Danbury (the kids are on Spring Break) and make a day of it. Of course a trip to the DMV, regardless of your state of residence, can potentially prove among life's most onerous tasks. With long lines, disgruntled patrons, and surly employees, the DMV can become a black hole, sucking away hours of one's time - like waiting for the cable guy or a telephone repairman to show up when . Television shows have lampooned the DMV for decades. The Simpsons, in which no institution is ever spared from satirical barbs, has embodied the very essence of the surly DMV employee in Selma and Patty Bouvier, Marge Simpson's sisters.

Nevertheless, my experience at the Danbury DMV yesterday defied all expectations and stereotypes. I was in and out in under 15 minutes and the staff was actually pleasant. The woman who took my picture and presented the new license was incredibly friendly - so friendly, in fact, that I told her she deserved an award for "Most Friendly DMV Employee." She acted genuinely touched and I'm guessing that she rarely receives compliments on the job, dealing instead with unhappy drivers who want to be anywhere other than the DMV. In the end, it took us longer to find the DMV building than renew the license. My wife and I were shocked.

2 comments:

jennifer black said...

That's funny--I just had a similar experience, but in central Texas.

It was fast and painless, but the clerk, in the middle of our transaction, stopped typing and started chatting with the clerk next to her about progressive lenses.

Uh ... hello? Person here.

One Wink at a Time said...

Life is full of little, nice surprises. The trick to keeping them coming is to appreciate and acknowledge them...
I believe that.