Friday, November 16, 2007

This is the last time . . .

. . . I toot my own horn about selling a painting. I realize this isn't that big a deal for artists and artisans who have been out there selling their stuff for a while. I also realize that I'm not going to make a living as a painter . . . so I won't be quitting my day job! Still, it is exciting to have a buyer connect with one's art enough to want to pay for it and take it home. This time it was the painting of an old fire escape on Perry Street in the West Village, which I had posted here several months ago. This painting probably prompted the most comments during the show, with one observer noted that he could "feel" the sunlight filtered through the iron web of the fire escape.

The buyer, noting that it reminded her of her family's fire escape in their Harlem apartment during World War II, reminisced about growing victory gardens and playing out on the fire escape. This has remained one of my favorite paintings in the year since I completed it, and a part of me was sad to see it go. Nevertheless, it has gone to a good home with someone who appreciates it. And in the end, I guess the image accomplished one of the primary goals of art: it evoked a response and emotions that were figuratively greater than the tangible sum of paint on paper. I've reposted the image below. Again, pardon my enthusiasm; this is all such a new experience.


3 comments:

One Wink at a Time said...

So very excited for you, Brian :-) This was one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through Nina's (Ornamental). I too love this painting! Congratulations on selling your art. I think it a great quality that you don't take for granted that others would want your painting. I too often see others selling art far beneath the likes of yours, and then acting like we should be grateful to have had the chance at it. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!
From one 43 year old to another!

Anonymous said...

I love this painting. Why not sent up an etsy shop with your work. Please keep painting and writing I enjoy your blog.