Monday, March 3, 2008

Newest Painting: Water Tank

Here's my latest effort, finished over the weekend. After taking so many pictures of rooftop water tanks it was just a matter of time before I tried to paint one, particularly since most of my works incorporate architectural themes. I think I've mentioned before that a majority of these water tanks are wooden and hand assembled by just a few companies, most of them having been in business for several generations.

As usual I was going for a different perspective here, placing the viewer at the bottom of the high wall on the right, looking up to the tank, buildings and fire escape. The glass was a challenge, in part because I didn't want merely to render all of the windows in the same color. On a sunny day Manhattan windows are a riot of reflections, picking up the hues of the sky as well as neighboring buildings. So my goal was to convey that sense of reflectiveness. (I also really like the old painted advertisements on NY buildings. I'm not sure of the age of this building, so don't know when the fur company might have been in business. Watercolor and pencil, 9" x 12", Fabriano cold press paper.