Monday, June 2, 2008

Malva sylvestris

This is one of my favorite annuals, Malva sylvestris, known also as the Zebra mallow or French hollyhock. In warmer climes with mild winters it can sometimes survive as a perennial, but serves as an excellent annual even here in the northeast, reseeding itself from year to year. Obviously related to the larger hollyhock, it usually peaks at 2-3 feet high and blooms profusely over a long period. We've even had some in our roof garden!




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

One Wink at a Time said...

Very pretty, Brian. These remind me of a flower I saw last night for the first time. My FIL has a clematis nearly this color but a little more lavender. It looks like every other clematis I've ever seen but has a center that looks kind of like a carnation plopped right down in there. They are gorgeous and I need to get me one!