Friday, May 8, 2009

Amish Windmill

The most difficult part of this painting was the sky, which required at least 20 washes in four colors - plus several more clear washes - to get it "just right." And then my lousy scanner reduced it all to a shambles, erasing the subtleties of the color blends and the transition from blues to yellows. Oh well . . .

I spotted this windmill on an Amish farm in Lancaster County, PA. (When I see the word "windmill" I immediately think of the more elaborate European variety, like the beautiful windmills of Holland, used to pump water out of the Dutch lowlands.) Watercolor, drybrush, pen & ink, on Fabriano paper, 9" x 12".

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Would you think me terribly irreverent if, in addition to my thought that your work is superb, I confess these sorts of windmills remind me of, umm, eggbeaters??? :)
I saw them often as a child in OH.